Your child wants a tent. However, purchasing a tent can be very costly, easily torn or difficult to set up. A simple trip to your local hardware store could provide you with a more cost effective solution. Here are some simple instructions on how to build your own inexpensive, easy to construct, children's tent. This safe design allows your children to get involved in the construction process as well.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Plastic tarp 8' X 10'
- 7 PVC pipes (2" X 8')
- 4 PVC 90 degree angle joints (to fit a 2" pipe)
- 2 PVC three-way connector joints (to fit a 2" pipe)
- Zip ties
Connect three of the PVC pipes with two of the 90 degree angle joints until you have a frame that resembles a square with one side missing. Repeat this process with three more of the PVC pipes and two more of the 90 degree angle joints until you have two separate frames.
Use the remaining three-way connector joints to connect the two separate frames on the PVC pipe ends that do not have a 90 degree angle joint. The frame should now start looking like an A-frame tent.
Connect the two unused three-way connector joint holes at the top of the frame with the last remaining PVC pipe.
Drape the tarp over the top bar of the frame and connect the tarp to the frame evenly using the holes in the tarp and the zip ties. Make sure the tarp is evenly draped over the entire frame before using the zip ties to secure it to the frame.
To dissemble, remove the three-way connector joints at the top of the frame, leave the remaining PVC pipes and joints connected, and fold the tent in half. This tent allows for easy storage under the bed or in the garage.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to make your tent bigger or smaller than the one described here just purchase a larger or smaller tarp size and PVC pipe lengths accordingly.
- Also, if you would like to make covers for the ends of the tent, purchase another tarp and measure the dimensions, cut, and zip-tie the tarp onto the frame.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for