Have you ever had an irritating cough that kept you awake at night? Now just imagine that same cough affecting your dog. The persistent cough will affect its ability to sleep and get the rest it needs to heal from sickness. Fortunately, a dose of honey can help coat your dog's throat and soothe its cough. Honey has antibacterial properties that can also help to destroy harmful bacteria that may have accumulated in your dog's throat.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small cup
- Warm water
Fill 1 tsp with honey for a small dog or 1 tbsp for a large dog. Let your dog lick the honey off the spoon until it is gone. Repeat three times a day until the cough disappears.
Mix the honey directly into your dog's food. Use 1 tsp for a small dog and 1 tbsp for a large dog. Mix the honey into all of its meals until the cough clears up.
Give a dog that is too weak or tired to stand a mixture of honey and warm water. Mix 59 ml (1/4 cup) of warm water with 1 tsp of honey for a small dog and 1 tbsp for a large dog, and administer the honey mixture into your dog's mouth with a medicine dropper until it is finished. Gently rub the underside of its throat to coax it to swallow.
Tips and warnings
- Speak words of praise to your dog when administering the honey. The soothing sound of your voice and gently promoting will encourage it to eat it.
- If the cough persists for more than two days or if you notice your dog becoming increasingly lethargic, seek the advice of a vet immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for