How to change my address on an electoral roll

Updated April 17, 2017

The electoral roll in the United Kingdom (also known as the electoral register) resides with the local electoral registration office, or the Council Office, in England and Wales. If in Northern Ireland, your electoral roll resides with the Electoral Office of Northern Ireland. It is important to note the Electoral Commission itself does not keep the electoral roll. Changing your address on the electoral roll requires you to fill out a new registration form and submit it to your local registration office. The local registration office will replace the old form with the most recent form submitted.

Visit the About My Vote website (see Resources), administered by the Electoral Commission and locate the registration form by clicking on "Register to Vote." Input your postcode and then print the form that loads. Fill out the form by providing all required information and adhere to the instructions provided with the form. Make sure you sign the form at the end of the application. Send the form to the local electoral registration office listed on the application.

Go to the About My Vote website (see Resources) and locate your local registration office. The contact information for your local office will load on the screen. Call the local registration officer and request a form sent by posted mail.

Fill out the form, providing all requested information. Make sure you sign the form to validate it. Send the form back to the local registration office. Once you have sent to the form, allow approximately ten business days for processing.


You must be on the Electoral Register in order to vote in UK elections and referendums. This does not happen automatically even if one pays council tax, as one must physically undertake the process of registering. All citizens of the UK, Irish, EU, or Qualifying Commonwealth citizens over the age of 16 have the right to register and vote in the United Kingdom. You may still register to vote, even if you do not have a fixed or permanent address. Simply visit the nearest local registration office to register.

Things You'll Need

  • Voter registration form
Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Kenneth W. Michael Wills is a writer on culture, society and business. With more than 15 years of experience in sales, public relations and written communications, Wills' passion is delighting audiences with invigorating perspectives and refreshing ideas. He has ghostwritten articles on a diverse range of topics for corporate websites and composed proposals for organizations seeking growth opportunities.