One of the most beloved features of Microsoft's gaming powerhouse, Xbox 360, is Xbox Live. For a small monthly fee, subscribers can play their games online with friends, purchase new games, download demos and leave voice or text messages for other gamers. Unfortunately, the console's proprietary headsets are notoriously prone to breakage, thereby making many of Xbox Live's exciting features obsolete, particularly online gaming. Fortunately, there is way for you to convert your old PC headset into a functional Xbox Live headset without spending a pocketful of cash.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- PC headset
- Two 3.5mm (female) to AV (male) adaptors
- Double AV (female) to single 3.5mm (male) adaptor
- 3.5mm (female) to 2.5mm (male) adaptor
Place your PC headset on a flat working surface. You will be working with several small adaptors, so working on a well-lit surface will make losing your adaptors much less likely.
Insert each female 3.5mm plug into a 3.5mm to AV adaptor. The plugs should click into place and rest flush against the adaptors without any gaps.
Insert the male ends of both AV adaptors into the AV to 3.5mm adaptor. These plugs won't click, instead sliding into place with moderate force. Ensure that there are no gaps between your adaptors before moving forward.
Insert the 3.5mm plug into the 2.5mm adaptor. As in Step 2, the plug should click into place.
Insert the 2.5mm plug into the base of your Xbox 360 controller. In essence, you converted the stereo 3.5mm plugs from your PC headset into a single 2.5mm plug.
Put on your headset and turn on your Xbox 360. Select a random friend from your Friends List and create a voice test message. Do not send the message--play it back by pressing the "Play" button. If you hear your voice in the headset, you've been successful. Delete the message to avoid sending it to your oblivious friend.
Tips and warnings
- For a more stable connection, wrap the joint between each adaptor with electrical tape.
- Alternatively, some Xbox owners purchase a 3.5mm cellphone headset and attach to the 2.5mm port on the controller with a special adaptor. You can find these adaptors in most electronics stores and online vendors. Check out the link in the Resources section to peruse some 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptors.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for