The 110 Conibear is designed to instantly kill a muskrat as it walks or swims through the trap. Muskrats are a water animal, spending their entire lives in that environment. In the warmer climates they burrow into bank dens under the water level, in cold climates where the water freezes over they live in above-water houses built of natural vegetation. The 110 Conibear can be used with success in all areas and climates. Learning the habits of the animal will give the trapper an understanding of where to place the trap.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 110 Conibears
- Rebar wire
- Wire cutters
- Sharp knife
- Muskrat lure
Set the Conibear by squeezing the spring together with one hand and using the other hand to bring the jaws together against the tension of the spring. The catch on one jaw and the trigger on the other jaw should be at the top of the trap. Flip the catch over and push one of the three notches down on the opposite jaw in the open gap on the band holding the trigger wires.
Place the trap in front of a muskrat den so the muskrat has to swim through the jaws to enter or exit the den. Hold the trap upright in place by pushing a stick through the circle at the end of the spring; additional small sticks can be pushed in at the corners of the trap to help keep it upright.
Center the trap in a narrow waterway muskrats swim through. Position the trap so the top of the trap is 1 to 2 inches above the surface of the water; hold the trap in place by driving a stake through the end of the spring and wedge a piece of wood between the stake and the inside circle of the spring.
Place the trap on a vegetation feed bed that muskrats have made in the water. Position the trap so the muskrat will swim or walk through it as it climbs up on the feed bed.
Stick a slice of apple or cattail root on the trigger wires for bait; do this before the trap is set. Position the trap upright in the water where muskrats are feeding so the bait is visible to them above the water. They will be caught when they attempt to take the bait.
Tips and warnings
- Always twist a piece of rebar wire to the trap chain ring and the other end to a stake or solid object. Even though the muskrat will be killed instantly the trap will come loose from the support sticks and sink into deeper water, the wire keeps the trap retrievable.
- Apple is the best bait. It can be placed on trails or feed beds to draw the animal to the trap.
- Where it is legal, a hole can be made in a muskrat house and the trap placed inside the house where the animal comes up into it from underwater. Plug the hole with the material removed. Check local regulations before doing this.
- Use caution when setting a Conibear as it can break your fingers if one snaps shut on your hand. Do not place your hands anywhere inside of the jaws once the trap is set.
- Check all local regulations before setting traps and obtain the proper licenses to trap.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for