You have decided to be daring and colour your hair a burgundy red, but it turned out much darker than you expected. Is there any way to get rid of the colour? Well, you cannot get rid of the colour completely, but you can fade it or change it to a chestnut brown or auburn. With any new colour, you have a 72-hour window to make any changes to the colour. After 72 hours, the colour is set and will be harder to correct.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Clarifying shampoo
- Brown hair colour
- Hair colour removal kit
Wash the hair immediately after colouring. Use a clarifying shampoo to wash out some of the colour. Prell or a good dandruff shampoo should work. Some people have recommended using tide or washing up liquid, but these dry out the hair and leave a residue that is hard to wash out.
Try a hair colour remover. Clairol and L'Oreal make colour remover products that only remove the artificial colour. Follow the directions on the box and use plastic gloves. Do not use any metal combs or bowls to mix the solution.
Try a new colour. Burgundy is a dark colour so to change it, try a light to medium brown to turn it to a chestnut brown. Box hair colours work by lightening the colour of the hair and depositing the new colour in the cuticle. It should lighten the dark burgundy to a lighter reddish colour, and the brown will mix nicely with it.
Get help from a professional. If you are afraid to fix it yourself, seek the help of a qualified stylist. Your stylist can give you options for correcting your colour and she has access to professional products made specifically for the purpose.
Tips and warnings
- Red hair colours fade the fastest of them all. The dark colour will fade out eventually. A final option is to let the colour grow out and trim the ends every six weeks until all the colour is gone.
- Before using any colouring products on your hair, be sure to do a patch test for allergic sensitivity. If you experience any allergic reactions to the product, discontinue using it and see your doctor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for