Fingerprints tend to stick to the LCD screen on digital cameras, cell phones and other personal electronic devices. Fingerprints contain oil, which attracts dust and dirt. This can make the LCD screen on your device look dirty, and make it difficult to use. Keeping the LCD screens on your electronic devices clean is just a matter of using the right technique.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Electronic device with an LCD screen
- Microfiber cloth
- Lens cleaning liquid
Prepare to clean an LCD screen by having lens cleaning liquid and microfiber cloths on hand. Buy lens cleaning liquid and a microfiber cloth at a camera store or in the pharmacy department, near the supplies for eye glasses. Choose a cleaning liquid that is safe for lenses of all sorts.
Remove your personal device from the case. Gently wipe a dry microfiber cloth across the LCD screen in circular movements. Apply a small amount of lens cleaning liquid to the microfiber cloth for LCD screens with many fingerprints. Wipe the damp cloth in circular movements on the LCD screen until the fingerprints disappear.
Use a dry microfiber cloth, in circular movements, to wipe off any excess lens cleaning liquid. Do not allow any lens cleaning liquid to dribble into the seams of the electronic device. Be sure the LCD screen is dry before putting the electronic device back in its case.
Remove fingerprints from an LCD screen in a pinch by using tape. Choose household clear, single-sided tape. Take a small piece of tape and press it over the fingerprint on your LCD screen. Gently life the tape off the screen. Repeat this process with clean pieces of tape until the LCD screen is free of fingerprints.
Tips and warnings
- Always use circular motions when cleaning an LCD screen, to avoid scratches.
- Never spray lens cleaning liquid directly on the LCD screen to remove fingerprints. Excess liquid may seep into the electronic device. Always spray the cleaning liquid directly onto the microfiber cloth, before applying it to the LCD screen.
- These tips can be used on LCD screens for cell phones, digital cameras, MP3 players and PDA's.
- Never use facial tissue or paper towels to clean an LCD screen. They have the tendency to leave small fibers on the screen, which can become clogged in the other areas of your electronic device.
- Never wipe the LCD screen of a personal device on denim. This material can scratch and damage an LCD screen.