When you have a silver chain bracelet or necklace, one of the easiest ways to maintain it is to wear it frequently. Wearing silver lessens its tendency to tarnish because the simple rubbing that occurs as you wear it will eliminate tarnish. If your silver chain begins to tarnish, clean and shine it to restore the lustre and beauty of your jewellery. With proper care, silver jewellery will stay beautiful for years.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dishwashing soap
- Small bowl
- 2 cotton cloths
Place one squirt of dishwashing soap into the bowl. Add approximately 2 cups of warm water and swirl the water around with your hands to make the water soapy.
Submerge the silver chain beneath the soapy water and allow it to soak for about 10 minutes.
Remove the chain from the water and scrub it lightly with the toothbrush to remove tarnish that may be stuck in the chain's crevices. Start scrubbing at one end of the chain and work your way along the entire chain.
Rinse the chain under warm water to rinse away remnants of tarnish and soap.
Spread one of the cotton cloths on a flat surface. Spread the silver chain over the cotton cloth. Cover the chain with the second cotton cloth and press lightly on the cloth to dry the chain.
Remove the top cloth and use it to buff and shine the silver chain. Start at one end of the chain and work your way along the entire chain with the cloth, buffing the silver until it shines.
Place the silver chain back onto the cotton cloth and allow the chain to sit undisturbed for at least 12 hours to ensure that it dries completely before you put it away.
Tips and warnings
- Your silver chain should not tarnish if you perform this gentle cleaning once or twice per month.
- Remove any charms or removable gems before you submerge the silver chain in the water.
- If your silver chain has gems that you cannot remove, clean the chain with a moist, soapy soft cloth instead of submerging it in water. Remove the soap with a second soft cloth saturated with water only.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for