Outdoor canvas blinds are a heavy-duty solution to adjusting the amount of sunlight that comes through your windows, but as they sit outdoors they are much more exposed to the elements. In addition to storm and bird damage, outdoor canvas blinds can be scorched by cookout embers or subjected to mould, mildew and rot. Stitching the canvas back together might seem like a simple solution, but doing so spoils the water-resistant qualities of canvas fabric. Fixing a canvas outdoor blind properly requires patching it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Matching fabric (recommended)
- Canvas patching kit
- Waterproofing wax or spray
Dismount the blind from the roller mountings, which should be set either high up on the exterior walls or mounted to the roof overhang. This will make applying the canvas patches much simpler, and is worth the extra effort. You'll probably need a ladder for this.
Lay out the blind and trim off any burnt or rotten fabric, as well as any stray threads, with scissors. Measure the hole with your measuring tape.
Trim down two patches from your canvas patching kit if necessary, or cut out two patches from a section of canvas fabric. These patches should be almost identical, and they should also be sized to match the dimensions of the hole in the blind plus a margin of 1 or 2 inches.
Apply the canvas adhesive from the patching kit onto one side of one of the patches. Place the patch over the hole and push down firmly to set it on the blind. Allow the patch to set for at least 30 minutes before turning the canvas blind over. This will help minimise any problems with wrinkles forming and setting in the canvas.
Apply another patch to the opposite side of the hole. Allow both patches to set overnight, leaving the canvas blind rolled out flat to prevent wrinkling in the patches.
Hang the canvas blind's roller back on the roller mounting.
Tips and warnings
- For the best results, try to find some canvas fabric with the same texture and colour as the canvas of your outdoor blinds. Canvas is available at fabric stores and through online vendors. The closer the match to your existing canvas, the better the patch will blend in with the original material.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for