A homemade farmer costume is a simple costume that you may be able to throw together using items from your closet. Look for old clothing to make the costume as a dirty or worn appearance will enhance the overall effect. If you would like to give the clothes a dirty appearance but the thought of wearing dirty clothing repulses you, apply a little brown shoe polish to a rag and rub it into the fabric.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Denim Overalls
- Plaid flannel shirt
- Trucker hat
- Milk bucket
Scour your closet for an old pair of denim overalls. If you don't own overalls, look for a pair at a thrift store. They do not have to fit properly as a slightly too large pair of overalls will work just fine.
Pair the overalls with a plaid flannel shirt. This is another item you can find at a thrift store if you cannot locate one in your own wardrobe.
Wear a trucker hat or a wide brimmed straw hat. Farmers spend a great deal of time working outdoors and need a good hat to protect them from the sun.
Tie a bandanna loosely around your neck or tuck it halfway into the front pocket on your overalls.
Equip trick-or-treating farmers with a shiny metal milk bucket to collect their treats.
Tips and warnings
- Load young farmers into a wagon containing straw and several stuffed farm animals such as pigs, horses and chicken. This will prevent young children from becoming tired and cranky while trick-or-treating.
- If your flannel shirt or your overalls have a hole (or even if they don't), patch it with a different colour of fabric to add character to your farmer costume.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for