Cars are some of the most expensive items we own. Many people subsidise the cost of their car by renting out the exterior to advertising companies. While having a billboard on your car door may decrease some of the car's aesthetic value, the cash to be gained can more than make up for it.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Commute or driving pattern of 1,000 miles per month or more
- Residence in an urban or well-populated area
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
Purchase access to a sponsor directory. There are several reputable sites on the Internet who will sell you access to their directory of potential advertisers. They usually charge about £19 for a year, and there is no need to purchase any additional services they offer. Many of the sites (see Resources) will allow you to search your area for potential sponsors, so you'll know ahead of time whether your area has this opportunity or not.
Apply to potential advertisers. The directory will give you access to companies interested in advertising on personal vehicles. It's actually up to you to take the next step and secure a sponsor. The application process is painless, though there are typically more people willing to have an ad on their car than the companies need, so it can also be competitive and take time. In general, the more populated your area and more miles you drive, the better chance you have.
Choose the best offer. A few companies will provide a brand new car already wrapped with the ad. Usually, the exchange in these situations is that you'll get the car for free, paying only for gas and routine maintenance. This chance, however, is much more rare than it once was in the late 1990s. If you choose the more common route of putting the ad on your own vehicle, the company will compensate you anywhere from £65 to £260 a month, depending on several factors. It's up to you to decide whether or not the offer is worthwhile.
Finding a Sponsor
Tips and warnings
- Most contracts for a provided car are for two to five years, about the same length as a typical lease. Contracts for putting an ad on your own car are much shorter, sometimes even just one month.
- Don't give up. It takes many people up to 90 days of frequent applications to find a company that's willing to sponsor them. Try to use a directory service with a money-back guarantee.
- You will have to pay for your own insurance.
- Your driving record will likely be examined closely, so don't bother to apply if you have any history on your record of DUI or other infractions that led to a loss of license. A few speeding tickets should be OK.
- Some companies require you to drive with a GPS unit in the car so they can track your movements and make sure the ad is being seen by enough people.
- Some directory services offer additional "access" for extra money. In all cases, the basic service of access to a local directory is enough. Don't pay extra.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for