Whether you've recently finished a complete kitchen remodel or you've only updated, installing new appliances and sprucing up a bit, you now have to contend with disposing of all the old appliances--and perhaps the pots and pans, too, given that new stoves may inspire people to get new cookware as well. But while chucking old pots and pans is one thing, you will quickly realise that disposing of old appliances is quite another. You can't throw appliances in the trash. They're just plain too big--and there are environmental considerations. Also, they may be useful to another family.
- Skill level:
Donate appliances and pots and pans that are still useful to a charity, such as Goodwill or the Red Cross. Call some charities and ask if they pick up hard-to-move goods, such as appliances. Many have trucks for donation pickup, and you can also get a receipt for the charitable donation so you can deduct the value on your taxes.
Call your local electric utility company and ask if it has an appliance bounty program or rebate program, if you can't donate the appliances. Many municipalities now offer a small payment to people who "allow the recycler to collect and recycle their old, inefficient appliances. Some programs also offer rebates and discounts towards the purchase of new ENERGY STAR® qualified models," according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
Buy new appliances from stores that will take away the old appliances you can't donate or recycle. You will still need to get rid of your pots and pans, but if bagged or boxed for recycling according to your sanitation service's requirements, they can go to the landfill.
Tips and warnings
- Re-purpose rather than discard old pots and pans. With drainage holes drilled into their bottoms, they make quaint weatherproof planters for annuals and can be set in garden beds among perennials and shrubs.
- "Do not attempt to remove refrigerant or compressors yourself. Improperly handled refrigerant may result in physical harm," warns the Environmental Protection Agency.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for