The pneumatic struts on the liftgate of the Nissan Pathfinder provide force to help open the liftgate and hold it in place once opened. As these struts age, small leaks and normal wear and tear reduce their lifting ability. If you noticed that the tailgate on your Nissan Pathfinder becomes hard to open, or sags when left open, you may consider replacing the pneumatic struts.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Open-Ended Wrench
- Rubber or Plastic Mallet
Open the liftgate on your Nissan Pathfinder and have your assistant hold it open.
Using the open-ended wrench, unscrew the ball studs at the top and bottom of the pneumatic struts. Remove the struts.
Install the new ball studs into the existing holes and use the open-ended wrench to securely tighten them.
Install the pneumatic struts by placing the top socket fitting on the pneumatic strut over the top ball stud and snapping into place. It may be necessary to tap the socket fitting onto the ball stud using a rubber or plastic mallet.
Finish the installation by snapping the lower socket fitting onto the lower ball stud. Test the liftgate for proper operation.
Tips and warnings
- When Installing the new struts, be careful not to scratch or dent them as this will drastically reduce their operational lifespan.
- Improper strut installation can result in damage to the liftgate.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for