Weddings can be a stressful, especially when money is tight. Every accessory and finishing touch becomes a source of concern in preparing the budget, but there are a number of ways you can add stylish decoration without breaking the bank. One of the easiest design tools is accenting chair covers with organza sashes; this can provide a dash of your signature colour to the white tables and chairs and is simple enough to handle on your own.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fabric scissors
- Measuring tape
- Stitch witchery
Take measurements of the chair back. This measurement will be important in gauging yardage when you're purchasing the organza. Many retailers will offer discounts for large quantities, saving you additional money.
Bring a swatch of your signature colour or colours to the fabric store. You can choose to use all one shade or mix and match with complementary colours. Make sure that you buy an adequate amount of fabric during the original purchase, as dye lots vary, and your next purchase may yield a slightly different colour. Do not just estimate for the chair back; add extra inches for the bow.
Wrap the organza around the midsection of the chair back, taking care that the fabric is smooth all the way around. If you notice any unwanted wrinkles, you can use a dress steamer to straighten it, but avoid ironing it.
Uniform bow height is very important, so make it clear to all those helping you how much space you want above and below the organza. The tie point should be on the back of the chair, not the front.
Tie the fabric in a tight knot to keep it steady and prevent sagging. Then, fold over the organza, and tie into a wide bow. Once the bow is complete, tug on the edges to smooth out any imbalances or different lengths.
Continue this process with the rest of the chairs. Brides often like to line the chairs up as they tie the sashes, as the work will go faster, and the close proximity makes it easier to see if any of the chairs are not uniform with the others.
Tips and warnings
- Depending on the size of your wedding, placing a sash on every guest chair can be a daunting task. Buy a bottle of wine, and bring your bridesmaids along to help.
- While simply cutting each end of the organza will suffice, if the look is too unfinished for you, buy Stitch Witchery, and iron a small hem at the ends of the bow. Just make sure that the hem faces into the chair after the final tie.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for