Every member of a Bible study group needs his or her own copy of the Bible in order to fully participate in the study and discussion of the group, as well as for later, more private consideration and study. While there are countless sites on which group members can read the Bible online, that's not always a practical or feasible solution for group study, and many students prefer to have their own hard copy. Fortunately, there are several ways to obtain free Bibles for your entire Bible study group.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Contact a local church or place of worship. This is the most logical place to get free Bibles, and also often the most overlooked. Churches are popular recipients of Bible donation efforts, and have many extra copies that they're often more than happy to give away to its members. Many churches also keep extra copies of the Bible in storage for new members or for their own Bible study classes. A local church may be willing to donate extra copies of the Bible to your group.
Ask local hotels for extra copies of the Bible. Most people have come to expect that hotels have a copy of the Gideon Bible in each room. However, it's a misconception that these are often stolen. Hotel Bibles are distributed by Gideons International, an organisation whose members put the Bibles in hotel rooms for the purpose of being read and, it is understood, taken home by the reader. Hence, many hotels have a stockpile of donated Bibles from Gideons International, and a local hotel may be willing to give your Bible study group a few free copies.
Request a free new or gently-used copy of the Bible via the site FreeBibles.net. They are a charity ministry that mails individual copies of the Bible within the United States. They have strict guidelines under which they'll mail a Bible: only one request one per mailing address; the Bible must be intended for your own personal use; you must be either unable to afford your own copy, or very ill, or incarcerated. Each member must put in his request individually. The site says to allow at least four to six weeks for receipt of your Bible, so this is best done well in advance before your study group is to begin, and since it is a charity, it should be a last resort.
Where to Get Free Bibles
Tips and warnings
- Don't be afraid to request Bibles from a church that is a different denomination than yours.
- Don't become discouraged if the first church or hotel declines to give away any Bibles to your group. Keep trying, and one will almost certainly fill your request.
- Even though the Gideon Bibles found in hotel rooms are supposed to be there for the taking, it's always best to ask the hotel management if you can keep it, just to be on the safe side.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for