When the Toyota Prius is moving slower than 10mph, the fuel engine turns off, making the car very silent. As a safety feature, the manufacturer installed an internal beeping sound when the Prius is in reverse gear. For those who would prefer to drive the Prius in a more normal setting, the steps for turning the reverse beeping feature off are simple and fast.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Turn on the Prius by pressing the brake pedal and the start button simultaneously.
Check the dashboard, and if the mileage is already reading ODO, press the trip/odometer button three times to come full circle back to ODO, otherwise press the button once or twice to get there.
Turn off the car by pressing the power button, then turn the car back on.
Immediately press and hold the trip/odometer button for 10 seconds, then, without releasing the trip/odometer button, shift the gear into reverse, then immediately into park.
Check the dashboard for the mileage display to show "b on" in place of the mileage.
Change the display to "b off" by pressing the trip/odometer button.
Turn off the car, then turn it back on. Shift the gear to reverse and the beep sound will no longer be activated.
Tips and warnings
- This method works only with the North America Prius models.
- Make sure there is clearing behind the car before engaging in disabling the reverse beep on the Prius.
- If the 12v battery is at all disconnected after this disabling, the beep will reset to the default of on and the procedure will have to be repeated.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for