Most Garmin GPS devices come with a map of North America. If you are taking a trip to a different country, want water or trail maps or just wish to add additional maps to your Garmin GPS, you may need to download them to a microSD card if they are too large to fit on your device. Garmin sells many maps already preloaded on an SD card. If you have purchased the downloadable version of Garmin maps, you can still download them to a blank microSD card.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Blank Garmin microSD card
- Garmin GPS
- Garmin USB data cable
- Computer with Internet access
Check the capacity of the blank microSD card you are using for map download against the size of the file you are downloading. The card needs to have enough space to accommodate the map download.
Insert the microSD card into the SD reader slot on your Garmin GPS. This is typically on the side of Garmin devices.
Connect the small end of the USB data cable provided with your Garmin device to the side or back of the Garmin GPS. Plug the other end of the cable to a free USB port on your computer.
Go to my.garmin.com and use your username and password to sign in. Click on the "Manage Maps" tab. This takes you to the map software available for download.
Click on "Download Map" under the map software you want to download. You will need to download the Garmin Communicator Plugin software to allow communication between your computer and your Garmin GPS.
Follow the prompts to complete the communicator software download and initiate communication between your device and the computer. Garmin will ask you to choose the device you wish to download the maps to.
Select "microSD Card" form the drop down menu of "myDevices." Click "Run" to launch and install the map software and follow Garmin prompts to complete map download to your microSD card.
Tips and warnings
- If you don't have a username and password, create a Garmin account by clicking "Create New Account." After creating a username and password, click the "myProducts" tab, then "Register" and use the Garmin GPS serial number to register the device under your account. You may need to register the microSD card as well before downloading the maps.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for