The sporran is a leather pouch that is a part of traditional Highland wear and an essential part of any kilt-wearer's basic dress. Because the kilt did not have pockets, the sporran served to hold basic day to day items that the wearer might require. Though there is a great deal of fashionable experimentation with sporrans as kilts become more common, the traditional leather sporran is something that will suit any kilt-wearer who likes a degree of historical accuracy in his costume.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rotary cutter
- Small awl
Research the type of sporran that you want to make. Look online for paintings of men wearing kilts and the sporrans that they will be wearing with them. This will give you a good idea of the size and shape that you are aiming for.
Draw a paper pattern for yourself. A traditional sporran is made from two pieces of leather that are then sewn together. The piece that will be the back of the sporran, the piece that is closest to your kilt, is going to be larger because it has a flap that will fold over the top.
Lay the paper pattern on top of your leather.
Cut the leather with a rotary cutter, following your paper pattern. Cut slowly and you will be able to make sure that the curve of your sporran is smooth and without jagged edges.
Punch holes into the edges of the leather that need to be attached to one another. It is important that the holes line up and allow you to sew the two halves of your leather together evenly.
Sew the two halves of your sporran together.
Cut a narrow strip of leather. This will be the band that you use to thread the sporran on to your belt.
Sew the narrow strip of leather into a loop.
Sew the leather loop to the back of your sporran.
Thread your sporran onto your belt.
Tips and warnings
- This makes a very primitive sporran. The simple design and materials makes it a daywear sporran, which is used when hunting or working.
- Consider what kind of fastening you want on the sporran. While some very ancient sporrans simply have the flap folded over, most have some sort of lacing tie or buckle that is used, depending on the time period.
- For a daywear sporran, leather stamping or a small amount of silver will be used to decorate it. Similarly, tassels might also be added.
- To make punching holes in the leather easier, mark in the holes in the paper pattern and punch through the paper.
- You can find many kits that will allow you to build your own sporran, which will give you detailed instructions and materials.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for