Replacing the serpentine belt on your PT Cruiser is a key repair. Serpentine belts wear over time because of the heat in the engine bay and stress placed on the belt by continuous tension. The belt begins to crack and eventually breaks, causing engine accessories to fail. To prevent this scenario from happening and getting stranded, inspect your serpentine periodically and replace if necessary.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 3/8-inch ratchet
- Serpentine belt
Open the bonnet and prop.
Place the square end of the ratchet into the belt tensioner and pull it upward. This will relieve tension on the belt and allow you to remove it.
Remove the belt from the engine but take care to remember the positioning of the belt and how it was routed around the various pulleys.
Pull up on the ratchet and install the new belt. If you don't remember how the belt should be routed, look for a diagram on the radiator support.
Release the tensioner to allow the belt to push firmly against all the pulleys.
Tips and warnings
- Use the longest ratchet that you can find to leverage to be able to lift the tensioner. If you don't have a long ratchet, place a 1-inch diameter pipe over it for extra leverage.
- Wear safety glasses when working on your PT Cruiser.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for