Adobe Acrobat is document-creation software that allows you to create and distribute documents in Portable Document Format, preserving layout, fonts and other appearance attributes. Acrobat Reader has become a standard for online document distribution. For some documents, printing to the Adobe Acrobat printer converts the document to PDF. If you accidentally deleted the printer from your system, you can reinstall it using the files for the application available on your Windows computer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Click the Windows Start button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen and select "Control Panel." Under the Hardware and Sound section click on "Devices and Printers" to open the list of printers installed on the machine.
Click "Add a Printer" from the menu bar at the top of the window. The Add Printer wizard launches
Select the option to install a local printer. If you see a check mark in a check box labelled "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer," uncheck it. Move to the next screen if the wizard does not automatically take you to it.
If you are prompted to choose or create a port, choose to use an existing port. Select "My Documents*.pdf (Adobe PDF)" from the list of port options. Move to the next screen.
Click "Have disk." Choose the most recent Adobe PDF Converter version that displays. If none displays, click the "Browse" button and navigate to the location of the Adobe Acrobat Reader installation. For most installations, this location is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF". Click the "AdobePDF.inf" file and click to accept this selection.
Choose "Adobe PDF Converter" from the list of printer options shown and click "OK." Enter a name for the printer, or accept the default name, and press "Next." Windows installs the printer. The printer will be available in the list of printers for the machine.
Tips and warnings
- For some installations, you are prompted for an "ADPDF9.PPD" file. This file is also located in the Adobe installation directory. For most installations, this is the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\StdPPD" directory.
- If these instructions don't work on your system you may wish to install a third-party PDF printer. Several free ones are available; see link in Resources.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for