Microsoft Excel can generate data using the values in a spreadsheet. Excel functions include chart wizards and toolbars, which include a Diagram or Organization Chart, enabling users to quickly select a type of chart and add information to a basic template. Create an organisation chart for a corporation using the Diagram or Organization Chart selection and apply a style template from a gallery of organisation chart designs. Since the chart was designed in Excel, update the diagram as needed.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Launch the Excel application and open a blank document.
Select "Toolbars" under "View" and select the "Drawing" toolbar.
Select the "Diagram or Organization Chart" option on the "Drawing" toolbar, click the button for "Organization Chart" and click the "OK" button. An "Organization Chart" toolbar will also be displayed.
Right click the top box in the organisation chart and select "Edit Text." Type the desired information such as "John Smith, President," and press the "Enter" or "Return" key as desired to insert a line break.
Right click each subsequent box, select the "Edit Text" option and type the desired information. Repeat for each box.
Insert additional boxes by selecting the desired box and clicking the "Insert Shape" button on the Organization Chart toolbar.
Click the arrow button and select an option to add a box with a connector line to the organisation chart: "Coworker" to insert a box on the same level, "Subordinate" to insert a box directly below the selected box, "Assistant" to insert a box below the selected box with an elbow-style connector (L-shaped line).
Repeat steps 6 and 7 as desired to add boxes to the organisation chart.
Repeat step 5 to type information into each newly added box.
Select "Save" under "File" in the top menu bar, type the document name in the field, and click the "Save" button.
Tips and warnings
- Delete a box by selecting the box and pressing the "Delete" key.
- Consider applying a design from the gallery by clicking the "AutoFormat" button in the Organization Chart toolbar and selecting a design from the "Organization Chart Style Gallery" window. Click the "OK" button to apply the desired design.
- Mac users can insert an organisation chart by selecting "Object" under "Insert" in the top menu bar and selecting the option for "Microsoft Organization Chart" before proceeding with step 3.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for