You do not need a special license to import products for yourself for personal use or resale. This applies to importing jewellery beads as well. To expedite the process of importing jewellery beads into the US, you should keep each order of beads at a maximum of £1,300 plus shipping and fees. If your order is larger than that, much more time, effort and paperwork will be involved. The following is a very basic guide to getting started importing jewellery beads into the United States.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Go to a website such as tradekey.com or do an Internet search to find suppliers of jewellery beads in foreign countries.
Order your merchandise from the supplier. Order up to £1,300 worth of product at one time. It is best to use a service such as PayPal to pay for your beads in order to protect your investment.
Ask your supplier for a quote on how much it will cost them to send you the beads via the US Postal service, including full insurance.
Transfer the cost for postage and insurance to your supplier via PayPal and instruct your supplier to send the beads as soon as payment has been received and confirmed.
Request your supplier to get information on the amount of duty and postal handling fees you will be required to pay upon entry.
Pay the duty and postal handling fee once the package arrives to your doorstep.
Tips and warnings
- If you are going to act as a broker for other people who import goods into the US, you do need a special license known as a Customs Brokerage License.
- Be careful where you import from: check with the Office of Foreign Assets Control first. You are not allowed to import products into the US that directly or indirectly originated from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and others.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for