Adobe Reader 9 is a universal standard for electronic document sharing. Adobe reader is used to view, search, sign, verify and print PDF files. Printing comments and pop-ups is sometimes convenient, but it requires a few extra steps to accomplish it correctly. The steps are similar for both Windows and Mac OS computers. Changing printer preferences or options in Adobe Reader 9 should allow you to print notes. Sometimes, just changing the computer or printer you are using will allow you to print notes.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Adobe Reader 9 software
- PC or Mac computer
Open up Adobe 9 Acrobat or Reader if you are using a Windows operating system. Choose "Edit" then "Preferences." In Mac OS, choose "Acrobat" or "Adobe Reader" then "Preferences." For both operating systems, continue by selecting "Commenting." In the commenting window, select "Print Notes and Pop-ups." Then click "OK." Note: Depending on your Mac OS version, you may have to follow slightly different directions.
Choose the "Documents and Markups" option in the print dialogue box (it is in the "Comments and Forms" menu). Click "Preview," and your pop-up comments should be visible in the "Preview" screen. Proceed with printing the notes or comments.
Prepare to troubleshoot. There are sometimes problems when printing a PDF file. This can occur when the file contains "damaged" content, such as strange fonts or images. In this case, you can try printing the document or comments as an image. To do this, open the document in Acrobat. Choose "File" then "Print." Click on the "Advanced" option. Select "Print as Image" at the top of the dialogue box. Click "OK," then click "OK" again to print. If you are using Mac OS X, see the Resources section for a link to a troubleshooting guide.
Check your registry. This is for Windows administrators and advanced users only. This text should appear or be placed in: ar9_print_comment_fix.reg:
REGEDIT4 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Annots\cPrefs] "bprintCommentPopups"=dword:00000001
Print Comments and Pop-ups
Tips and warnings
- Because of their "global" or "universal" nature, PDF documents can be difficult to print successfully. Some documents will print on some computers but not on others. If you still have trouble printing your notes in Adobe Reader on your computer, try moving the file to another computer and try printing again. In Windows, you can print the window containing the notes by clicking on the window then pressing "Alt" + "Print Screen" and pasting into a Word document. Print the notes from the Word document.
- Changing items in your Windows registry can be very risky. Don't attempt Step 4 unless you have done a full system and registry backup. Step 4 is definitely for advanced users and should be attempted only as a last resort.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for