Mailing lists are used by direct-mail marketers to sell their products and services. These companies usually purchase these names in volume and target their sales/marketing campaigns at them. If you want to sell mailing lists, you will need to locate a mailing list wholesaler who can offer you a distributorship. Also, the Direct Marketing Association supplies many mailing lists.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mailing list supplier
- Sales letter
- Flyer with your company name and address
- Web site with contact information
Develop a business name and register with your local county for sales tax purposes. Decide which types of entrepreneurs or businesses you wish to market. Find a mailing list distributor online or through the Direct Marketing Association that supplies names of consumers who have purchased products similar to those sold by these businesses. Purchase the consumer names in quantity, or work out an agreement with the distributor to sell these names for a commission. Subsequently, find a vendor who supplies the names of the businesses and entrepreneurs who sell the products. Purchase these names in quantity on peel-and-stick labels.
Develop a convincing sales letter that discusses your list offerings and how potential business clients might benefit from your lists. Develop a flyer showing the types of lists you sell, the quantities and prices. Include an order form on the flyer or print one separately. Include your company name, address and phone number on the form. Print your flyer and sales letters in quantity. Order envelopes with your company name printed on them, and place the peel-and-stick labels of the businesses and entrepreneurs on the envelopes. Purchase stamps and mail your envelopes at the post office.
Record a voice mail on your phone or secure a separate toll-free line for incoming calls. Instruct potential customers to leave their name and phone number if you are unavailable to take their call. Get back to your business customers right away. Close the sale.
When you have begun earning money from mailing lists, create a website with your mailing list information. Sign up for a PayPal account so that you can accept payment by credit card. Enable customers to order directly online. Include your website address on your direct-mail materials.
How To Sell Your Mailing Lists
Tips and warnings
- You will want to offer a variety of mailing lists that are somewhat related. For example, if you are selling a list of consumers that buy computers, include those who buy ancillary equipment or other electronics. This should not be difficult as mailing list distributors or the Direct Marketing Association usually have lists for about any product. You will want to purchase the most recent list of businesses or entrepreneurs in which you want to market your mailing lists (i.e. past 30 days). This will ensure that the companies are still in business.
- Check with your locality about home business laws. As your volume increases, you might need to establish a business location.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for