Gas pains in the stomach may cause severe pain, bloating and cramping. Gas pains may be caused by swallowing too much air from eating too fast, chewing gum, being nervous, or drinking through a straw. Most cases of lower intestinal gas are caused by bacteria in your colon that ferments carbohydrates. Lactose intolerance may also produce gas pain. Carbohydrate rich foods include fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans. While these foods are healthy, they promote gas formation. Carbonated beverages and fibre supplements may also produce gas pain. While gas may be uncomfortable, it is rarely serious. You need to treat your gas pain because if you do not, your discomfort may cause you to lose your appetite. There are steps you can take to get rid of gas pain in the stomach.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Anti-gas medication
- Lactase supplement
- Anti spasmotic medication
- Heating pad
Take Beano. Beano may get rid of gas pains due to eating gas producing foods. According to the Mayo Clinic, adding Beano to vegetables and beans may help reduce the amount of gas they produce. For it to be effective, take it with the first bite of food. Beano works best when there is only a small amount of gas in your intestines.
Ask about simethicone. Ask your doctor about taking an over the counter anti-gas medication containing simethicone. This anti-gas medication will break up gas bubbles to relieve pain and pressure.
Try lactase supplements. You may have gas pains because of an intolerance to lactose. According to the National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse website, lactase supplements may help you digest foods containing lactose. This may reduce your gas pains. Consuming dairy products that are lactose free may help prevent gas formation.
Inquire about antispasmotic medication. Your gas pains may be causing severe abdominal spasms. Ask your doctor about prescription abdominal antispasmotic medications to reduce your pain.
Apply a heating pad. A heating pad may ease your gas pains and relax you. Apply the heating pad on the medium setting and never apply it directly to your skin.
Tips and warnings
- Take a walk. Walking or other mild exercise will stimulate your digestive tract to dissipate excess gas and relieve your pain.
- If your gas pain is accompanied by severe abdominal pain, pain in your lower right side, fever, nausea, or vomiting, call your doctor immediately. You may be having an appendicitis attack and will require emergency medical treatment.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for