Spy pen cameras are a marvel of the modern age but they all share a similar problem in that the date and time was preset when they were made. Changing the time stamp that is printed on a picture or video taken by a spy camera requires using computer software. The process is not difficult but it is necessary to follow a number of steps exactly in order to accomplish the task correctly.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Windows-based computer
- Internet connection
- Web browser
- Time/stamp software
- USB connector
Attach the USB connector to the USB port on the spy camera. Attach the other end of the USB connector to a USB port on a computer.
Download the time/stamp software from the website of your spy camera's manufacturer. Click on the icon of the time/stamp software after it has downloaded to unzip it to the computer's hard drive.
Double-click on the time/stamp software folder that was created when the software was unzipped. Double-click on the file called "userconfig.txt" to bring it up inside the text editor.
Change the line noting the date the spy pen was made to "XXXX-AA-BB CC:CC," in which the "X" denotes the year, "AA" is the month, "BB" is the date and "CC:CC" is the time. Go to the "File" menu and select "Save" to save the file with the changed date and time.
Go to "Start," "My Computer," "Devices" and click on the icon of the spy pen. Drag the "userconfig" text from the folder and onto the icon of the spy pen. Wait as the "userconfig.txt" is copied to the spy pen. Right-click on the icon of the spy pen. Select "eject" and remove the spy pen from the USB connector. Remove the USB connector from the USB port of the computer.
Turn on the spy pen and take a picture or video with the changed date and time.
Tips and warnings
- Because there is no clock inside the spy pen camera, you will need to use the software to change the time stamp every time you want the spy camera to reflect the actual date and time.
- Incorrectly using the software to update the date and time on a spy camera can corrupt the camera's operation.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for