A swollen lip can be an embarrassing and uncomfortable thing to have. Whether it be a blow to the lip or an allergic reaction, a swollen lip can be treated easily at home in most cases. If you have a swollen lip, try a few simple steps to get it down and healed quickly.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cold compress
- Hot compress
- Aloe vera
- Vitamin E capsules
- Witch hazel
Apply a cold compress, such as a bag of frozen peas, for about 15 minutes then alternate with a hot wash cloth for another 15 minutes. This should help reduce swelling and pain. Do this every few hours until swelling is gone.
Take an antihistamine. These are great for reducing swelling, especially if your swollen lip is caused by an allergic reaction to something. Ask your pharmacist which would work best for you.
Apply a cooling aloe vera gel to the swollen lip. This will help soothe the skin and reduce pain and swelling. You can also use witch hazel as another herbal remedy. Just dab some on with a cotton ball every few hours. Both of these can be found at most health food stores.
To avoid dryness, apply vitamin E to your lips. You can buy cream or lip balm, or simply break open a liquid capsule of vitamin E to your lip.
Tips and warnings
- It's important that you determine what caused your swollen lip, especially if it was a food allergy or reaction to something in your environment, in order to prevent another one in the future.
- If there is also a cut with your swollen lip, rinse it with soap and water and disinfect it first.
- If swelling spreads to other parts of the face or inside the mouth, see your doctor immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for