As wine becomes more accessible and more popular, wine accessories such as glasses also become an appreciated gift or collectable. Personalised wine glasses are relatively simple and make great gifts to mark a special occasion or treat that wine lover on your list. The charm of such a gift lies in the endless options. You can write a couple's initials or names, a special date, or a sports team's motto. Grab a wine glass and get creative!
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Wine glass
- Adhesive printer paper
- Utility knife
- Etching cream
- Small paintbrush
Open a word processing program and type the letters or numbers you want to etch.
Format the font and size of the message that you would like to appear on the glass.
Print your letters or numbers on adhesive printer paper.
Cut out the letters or numbers using a utility knife, leaving the outline of the words and creating a stencil.
Unpeel the backing of the stencil and place it on the wine glass.
Paint etching cream, available at many craft or art supply stories, into the open spaces of the stencil, liberally filling in the letters or numbers.
Leave on for a few minutes, in accordance with the directions on the etching cream package.
Unpeel the stencil.
Rinse off the etching cream thoroughly under warm running water and allow glass to dry.
Tips and warnings
- You can also paint wine glasses with enamel glass paints, but note that this could be removed with harsh washing whereas etching is far more permanent.
- This technique will work on a variety of glass items, such as wine bottles, candle holders and drinking glasses.
- Etching cream is an acid; wear rubber gloves and old clothes. Avoid contact with furniture and countertop surfaces by covering them with newspaper or plastic.
- Provide the recipient with washing instructions for your decorated glassware.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for