Making a canopy bed does not have to be expensive, nor does it require the purchase of a special frame. What is required is a little ingenuity and your ability to select curtain fabric that will complement your decor. With only a few supplies, you can turn any bed into a canopy bed using curtains and rods, creating a luxurious furnishing for any bedroom in your home.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Curtain rods
Determine how close to the bed that you want the curtains to hang.
Measure the length of the area that you want to cover, as well as the width. Write it down.
Determine how low you want your curtains to hang and then measure the distance from the ceiling to that point. Write it down.
Look for curtain rods that will correspond to the length and width of the area that you want to cover. The curtain rods should be capable of meeting one another at all four corners of the canopy. Purchase four rods.
Purchase curtain rod brackets for each curtain rod--eight brackets in all. Make sure that the brackets come with screws for the rods.
Use the length and width measurements you have taken to purchase curtains that will amply cover all four sections of the canopy. Most individuals elect to purchase lightweight fabrics for the curtains.
Using a drill, screws and the brackets, secure the brackets to the area above the bed first so that you can centre the first curtain rod above the bed. Install the brackets straight out from the wall. Hang the curtain rod on the brackets to assist in aligning the other rods with it.
Install the curtain rod brackets on the sides of the bed on the ceiling. You will have to install these upside-down, and you must determine whether to install them with the holder facing you or away from you on either side. Just be sure that you install them the same way on both sides of the bed. Place the rods on the brackets when you are finished.
Install the brackets at the end of the bed on the ceiling, again determining whether or not the brackets will cup away from you or toward you. Place the curtain rod on the brackets when finished.
Make sure that all of the curtain rods meet at the four corners of the bed.
Place your curtains on the rods on all four sections.
Tips and warnings
- If you cannot afford brackets for your curtain rods, screw in cup hooks instead. Make sure that the cup hooks are large enough to hold the curtain rod that you are using and that they will remain secure in your particular ceiling.
- Standard curtain rods are not absolutely necessary, as you can use any metal or plastic rod that will support your curtains and that covers the area that you want to hang the canopy. Remember that you can always paint old metal or plastic rods to look new.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for