The PlayStation 2 is a console from Sony Computer Entertainment that allows players to play games on their TV. The main interface for this console is the PS2 controllers, officially referred to as DualShock 2 analogue controllers, which receive commands through the pressing of buttons. Often, these buttons will become stuck or jam themselves behind the plastic casing of the controller. It is possible to fix these controllers by dismantling them and correcting the stuck buttons.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- PlayStation 2 controller
- 2mm Phillips screwdriver
Remove the five anchoring screws from the back of the controller. These are located on the grips and sides, and in the middle of the case.
Carefully pry the case apart and set the back aside. You are now able to see into the electronics of the controller.
Unscrew the holding screws on the printed circuit board, or PCB. Take care not to touch the PCB with your screwdriver or any other metal implements.
Lift the PCB from the front casing and place it in the rear casing. This will give you access to all of the buttons.
Press the rear of the button panels on every button and trigger. Make sure that they are set fully into the holes and are not loose or stuck behind any plastic.
Put the PCB back into place and put the screws back in. Tighten them down only until the screwdriver becomes hard to turn. Overtightening on a PCB will destroy the unit.
Close the back onto the controller and snap it together before replacing the anchor screws on the case itself. You can now connect your PS2 controller and test it on your console.
Tips and warnings
- Replace your controller if you begin to have problems with the wiring. Changing wiring on the controller should only be done by certified professionals, who will have costs greater than a replacement controller.
- Ground yourself thoroughly with an anti-static wrist band or by touching a grounded metal object before working with the inside of the PS2 controller. Minor shocks may disable the printed circuit board.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for