Creating custom shaped chocolates requires the use of chocolate moulds. Shop-bought moulds are generally made of plastic or silicone rubber material deemed food safe. Finding the perfect pre-made chocolate mould for your needs can be difficult. Fortunately, there is a simple way to craft your own chocolate moulds with a food grade silicone moulding putty.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mould model
- Hot water
- Food safe moulding putty
Choose an object to use as a model for the mould. If you wanted to create dog bone shaped chocolates, for example, then you would use a dog bone of the appropriate size as your model.
Clean the model object thoroughly with hot, soapy water to kill any existing germs. Dry the model with a clean towel.
Mix the two components of the moulding putty according to the packet directions.
Shape the putty into a square or rectangle larger than the model you have chosen.
Press the model into the putty and leave it there for at least one hour.
Push up on the bottom of the model through the now dry putty to pop the object out of your new chocolate mould.
Tips and warnings
- Several brands of moulding putty are available and can be bought online. Make sure that the type of moulding putty you buy is food safe before you use it to create chocolate moulds.
- Use a variety of materials in your custom-made moulds in addition to chocolate. Try using butter, fondant, cheese or marzipan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for