Fake cakes, also referred to as cake dummies by bakers, are an excellent way to practice new decorating techniques or create examples of your work. Cake dummies allow you to showcase your work without having to worry about real cake getting mouldy or collapsing, making them ideal for trade or bridal shows. Fake cakes are easy to make if you follow these simple steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Saw or bread knife
- Buttercream or royal icing
- Decorating tips
- Pastry bag
Purchase styrofoam from a craft store, or buy shaped cake dummies from a store that sells baking supplies. You can buy cake dummies in any shape you can find in a cake pan. Use a small saw or bread knife to carve the styrofoam into the shape you desire. Make each tier that you need for the final product.
Wet the styrofoam with a damp cloth or lightly ice it in buttercream or royal icing. This will help the fondant stick to the fake-cake tier. Cover the tier with fondant, smoothing it as if it were a real cake.
Decorate the tiers in the same manner that you would decorate a real cake, using royal icing, decorating tips and a pastry bag. Allow the royal icing to dry.
Stack the tiers once the decorations are complete. You may want to stack them prior to decorating, depending on the style of the design. Use bamboo skewers to hold each layer in place, pounding several into each layer to attach it to the one below. Finish up the final decorations.
Tips and warnings
- Cake dummy decorations will last for months if you keep them out of direct sunlight and dust the surface occasionally.
- If you want to showcase a design that would normally be created in buttercream frosting, you can use drywall spackle in place of real frosting. The look will be the same, and the dummy will last much longer.
- Since fake cakes can be expensive, you might want to cover the styrofoam with parchment paper or a similar covering before decorating. Later, you can just unwrap the dummy and reuse it to create a new design.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for