Liquorice extract is used in many beauty products because of its ability to lighten and even out skin tone. According to freebeautytips.com, liquorice extract contains glabridin, which inhibits activation of the pigment-producing enzyme tyrosinase. The good news is that you don't have to run out and purchase expensive beauty products. Whip up this simple skin-lightening mask in your own kitchen.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- Blender or food processor
- Mixing bowl
- 1/4 cup pure liquorice extract
- 1 cup sandalwood paste
Chop 1 cup very fresh cucumber. Place it in a blender or food processor and liquefy.
Spoon the liquefied cucumber into a mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup pure liquorice extract and 1 cup sandalwood powder. Mix well with a spoon until a thick paste is formed.
Apply the paste to your freshly cleansed face or body. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off thoroughly with cool water.
Apply moisturiser to the treated areas. It's important to keep your skin well hydrated while using skin lighteners. Remember to moisturise well following each treatment.
Repeat one to two times weekly until desired skin tone is achieved.
Tips and warnings
- Sandalwood powder and liquorice extract can be purchased from natural food stores, health food stores or on the Internet.
- Make sure you purchase 100 per cent pure, all-natural liquorice extract.
- If sandalwood powder is unavailable, you may substitute 1/2 cup plain, all-natural yoghurt and 1/2 cup all-natural honey.
- Prior to using the liquorice extract on your face, test it on the back of your wrist to make sure you are not allergic.
- If you notice any excessive redness, itching, swelling or other signs of an allergic reaction, discontinue use of this recipe immediately.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for