A message in a bottle is a sweet way to send your thoughts out into the world. Message bottles have a long history of romance and whimsy; there are stories of bottles created years ago washing up to people's feet. Today, there are small companies that will create a customised message bottle. However, a true romantic will want to create the memento from scratch.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Empty, clean glass bottle with tight cork or other snug closure
- Plain paper
- Pen or marker
- Letter decorations, such as stickers, glitter, stamps, perfume or lipstick
- 8 inches (approximately) of narrow satin ribbon
- Wax candle or wax seal kit
Obtain a glass bottle with a cork closure. Wine bottles are best, but good bottles can also be found in gift shops and other retail stores. If a bottle with a cork isn't available, find another narrow glass bottle with a snug-fitting top.
Write a practice message on the plain paper. Think about what the message should convey. Normal topics for message bottles include love, wishes, goals and dreams. Be honest and thorough, knowing that someone may eventually read the letter.
Find some pretty paper to write your message on. Message bottles are for posterity, so make it something that you, or someone else, wouldn't mind finding in a decade's time.
Write your message with a pen or marker that has nonfading ink. Decorate the letter with other touches, if desired. Stickers, perfume and lipstick kisses are tried-and-true letter trimmings, so add some to your letter.
Roll up the letter into a cylinder that can fit through the neck of the bottle. Tie a piece of satin ribbon around the centre of the roll to keep the note closed.
Insert the letter into the bottle and cork it tightly. For good measure, drip some candle wax over the top of the cork to seal the contents completely.
Tips and warnings
- Seal the bottle thoroughly to avoid leakage. If a candle isn't available, use a bit of glue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for