Buying a diamond is a big deal for almost any person, not only in view of the expense, but in terms of the emotional significance as well. You have to make sure you are getting the perfect diamond. A new option for diamond purchases has emerged in the last few years: man-made diamonds, also referred to as cultured or synthetic. These diamonds are made in labs in a matter of days and cost far less than a mined diamond.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Decide what size diamond you want. Most colourless diamonds produced in the lab are less than one carat. You can find coloured diamonds of up to three carats.
Narrow down the colour diamond you want. Colourless diamonds are rarer in synthetic labs. The labs focus more on coloured diamonds: yellow, green, pink, purple.
Choose the clarity of diamond you want. Diamond clarity ranges from imperfect to flawless. Because they are produced in the lab, most man-made diamonds fall into the flawless range.
Decide what cut you want. Man-made diamond cuts range from very good to poor.
Choose whether to buy online or from a retailer. The only difference is that you will be able to see the diamond beforehand if you buy from a retailer.
Tips and warnings
- The Gemological Institute of America began certifying and grading man-made diamonds in 2007.
- A man-made diamond can cost from 15 to 30 per cent less than a mined diamond.
- Special machines can distinguish between a real diamond and a man-made one.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for