How to get a name removed from a birth certificate

Written by tameka mcspadden
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

It is possible to amend or remove information from a birth certificate but doing so is not always easy. If you need to get a name removed from a birth certificate, it is important to realise that this process takes time.

Skill level:

Things you need

  • State's Vital Records Department Contact Information
  • Birth Certificate Information
  • Valid Reason for Removing the Name
  • Telephone
  • Transportation
  • Patience

Show MoreHide


    How to Get a Name Removed from a Birth Certificate

  1. 1

    Contact the vital records department of the state that issued the birth certificate. If the birth certificate has just been issued, this should be done as soon as possible. Most states will allow names to be removed and changed from birth certificates without documentation for a very limited amount of time after the birth. If the birth certificate has not just been issued, the vital records department must be contacted in order to discover the forms and fees associated with removing a name from a birth certificate.

  2. 2

    Consult an attorney. In most cases, a court order will be needed before a state will remove a name from a birth certificate. While it is possible to start the filing process yourself, the help of an attorney will increase your chances of obtaining the order you need. The attorney can help you prepare to file the proper petition and appear with you in court if needed.

  3. 3

    Obtain a court order for name removal. A petition requesting the name removal will need to be filed with your state's appropriate court. The type of petition needed would be determined by the reason for name removal. If you are unable to consult an attorney or are confused, contact your county's clerk of the court. He will be able to point you in the right direction based on your individual situation.

    The court order will need to specify that the court has agreed that the birth record should be changed. It should also specify which items are to be removed and what (if anything) they should be replaced with. If the court order is too vague, the department of vital records amending the birth record might refuse to remove the name from the birth certificate.

  4. 4

    Send your court order along with an application to Amend the Birth Record to the vital records department of the state in which the birth occurred. Some states will require the application to be notarised. Remember to include the application fee and the fee for a new birth certificate if you would like a copy of the amended record.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.