Cajun spices are composed primarily of salt, with a wide variety of other seasonings that provide the spicy Cajun flavour. Many Creole recipes require Cajun spices, but they can be used to season almost anything. Many cooks consider making their own Cajun spices superior to buying one of the many commercial seasoning blends for sale. This way, you can make a larger batch for less money and adjust the recipe to fit your specific tastes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Mixing bowl
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chilli powder
- Crushed bay leaves
- Plastic container
Pour 3 tbsp of black pepper and 5 tbsp of cayenne pepper into a large mixing bowl. Stir the two together until they are thoroughly combined, then pour the mixture into the blender.
Add 3 tbsp of onion powder, 3 tbsp of garlic powder and 3 tbsp of chilli powder to the mixing bowl. Mix them thoroughly, then pour them into the blender on top of the pepper mixture.
Mix 1 tbsp of thyme, 1 tbsp of basil and 1 tbsp of crushed bay leaves in the mixing bowl, then transfer them to the blender on top of the rest of the spices. Cover the blender and set it to the purée setting.
Allow the Cajun spices to purée for several minutes, then turn the blender off. Allow the spices to settle for several minutes, as they can cause significant irritation if inhaled. Pour the seasonings back into the mixing bowl.
Add 737gr of table salt to the spices and stir until the entire batch is the same colour. Transfer the Cajun spices to an airtight plastic container for storage to prolong shelf life.
Tips and warnings
- One ounce of monosodium glutamate, also known as MSG, can be added to the Cajun spices to enhance the flavour.
- Use the Cajun spices in recipes that require them or to season other food, if desired.
- Once you've made the first batch, identify the flavours and seasonings that you liked or disliked. Modify the recipe for later batches to meet your taste and to create a truly unique Cajun spice blend.
- MSG can cause irritation to some people and should only be used if certain that those susceptible individuals will not be ingesting it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for