If you are a novice model builder but want to put a nice finish on your car kits instead of trying to paint by hand, the solution is spray paint. However, spray painting a model car is not the same as spray painting lawn furniture. You might practice a few basic modelling techniques and invest in a few cans of paint designed specifically for model building first. This way, you can achieve a great-looking paint job even if you never have painted a model before.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dish soap
- Warm water
- Cardboard sheets
- Wood block
- White model primer
- Spray paints for models
- Polishing pads
- Plastic polish, acrylic floor wax or gloss coat enamel
Wash all model parts in warm soapy water. Separate any chrome or clear plastic parts. Allow the parts to dry.
Lay down cardboard sheets to protect the painting surface.
Cut a wood block so that pieces of the car's body can rest on top and allow you to move it around as necessary.
Spray a coat of white primer on parts such as doors, hoods and trunks. Hold the can 8 inches to 10 inches from the surface and spray in a back-and-forth motion.
Spray interior colours on seats, dashboards and other parts and allow them to dry.
Place the body parts on the wood block and spray several coats, allowing drying time between each coat. It is recommended to allow the paint to dry overnight.
Smooth over the finish with polishing pads of 3,200-grit and 12,000-grit quality. Wipe the surface clean if you see minor imperfections in the paint job.
Apply a coat of plastic polish. Acrylic floor wax sprayed through an airbrush or gloss coat enamel will do as well.
Assemble the car as directed.
Tips and warnings
- Be patient and let the parts dry before touching them.
- Loose parts can be painted by attaching them to a strip of plastic or cardboard with tape or a small amount of glue and then flipping them
- Always spray in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not prime or paint chrome finish or clear plastic parts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for