Although laptops are certainly convenient, if you need to be online all the time, it can be difficult to locate and use public Wi-Fi if you are always on the go. However, if you have a BlackBerry smartphone, you can use it with your laptop to connect to the internet. Although you have to be conscious of any fees associated with using your BlackBerry to connect to the internet, it is a nice way to keep yourself constantly connected on the go.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mini USB cord
- BlackBerry Device/Modem Management
- Laptop with USB Inputs
Call your phone service provider. Although your BlackBerry already has modem functionality included, this will need to be "activated." Make sure to ask about any additional usage charges you will incur as a result of activating this service.
Download the modem/Blackberry management software for your device. Every carrier has their own unique software to use, and you will either have to download it from your carrier's website (this is the most common option) or go to your carrier's location and pick up a CD with the program on it. Once you have installed the software, restart your computer.
Open the management software you just installed and then connect your BlackBerry to the computer with a mini-USB cable. The management software should recognise your phone immediately and will ask if you want to connect to the internet. Click "OK" to proceed.
Tips and warnings
- Because you are using your cell phone, the speed of your internet connection will largely depend on how strong your phone signal is. So, if you find yourself in a "cell phone dead zone" you may not be able to connect to the internet at all until you move to a different location.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for