Homemade shower gel is easy to make using liquid soap, aloe vera gel, essential oils and pectin. Using this method, you can customise the shower gel for your specific skin type by choosing your essential oil. This recipe makes approximately 3-½ cups of homemade shower gel, which will keep for up to 30 days in the shower.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Distilled or spring water
- Liquid Castile soap
- Aloe vera gel
- Essential oil
- Plastic bottle
Bring three cups of distilled or spring water to a boil. Add ¼ cup liquid Castile soap to the water, reduce the heat to low, and let the mixture simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the water-and-soap mixture from the heat. Add 2 tbsp of pectin and stir constantly, making sure no lumps form, until all the pectin is dissolved.
Add ¼ cup of aloe vera gel and 20 to 25 drops of the essential oil of your choice to the mixture, and stir thoroughly until the ingredients are well-combined.
Pour the homemade shower gel into a plastic bottle with a spray top. Alternatively, you can fill a small bottle with the gel and keep it in the shower, and store the reserve in the refrigerator until it is ready for use.
Wait several hours; the homemade shower gel will have become thick enough for use. If the mixture isn't thick enough for your tastes, dissolve a bit more pectin in warm water and add it to the bottle. If the gel is too thick, add additional distilled water.
Tips and warnings
- Any type of unscented liquid soap may be substituted for the liquid Castile soap, if necessary or desired. Castile soap may be found in natural-health stores and some well-stocked drugstores.
- Pectin is often used to make gelatin, and can be found in grocery stores, drugstores, and craft and hobby stores.
- Lavender water can be used in place of aloe vera gel if necessary or desired.
- Make your homemade shower gel with essential oils that complement your skin type. Try lavender for normal skin, lemon or peppermint for oily skin, and rose or neroli for dry skin.
- This mixture can also be used as a shampoo if desired.