I don't know about you, but I am sick of buying my sports bars at the store and have started making my own. I have more control over the ingredients and I find that these are easier to digest (and tastier!).
The following recipe is simple. Feel free to change the ingredients around according to your own taste. For example, I like the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, but if you don't, you can experiment with other nut butters and protein powder flavors.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup nut butter (e.g. peanut butter, almond butter)
- 1 cup protein powder, any flavor (e.g. whey protein, soy protein)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. powdered herbal supplement such as kelp or spirulina (optional)
- Melted dark chocolate (75 percent cocoa or higher) for dipping (optional)
- Ingredients to sprinkle on the melted chocolate such as coconut, chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional)
- Mixing spoon
- Medium mixing bowl
- Airtight container
Mix the nut butter, protein powder, honey and powdered supplement (optional) together in the mixing bowl.
Form into shapes such as a ball or bar shape.
Refrigerate in an airtight container. If dipping, remove from the refrigerator and dip in the chocolate after about two hours. Chocolate is a splurge, so feel free to omit this step.
If you would like to sprinkle an ingredient on the chocolate such as unsweetened coconut, chopped nuts or dried fruit, feel free (just choose something that will boost the nutrition content).
Tips and warnings
- Feel free to experiment with the combinations.
- My favorite combination is: peanut butter, chocolate whey, dark chocolate and chopped peanuts.
- These are high in calories, so only consume in moderation. But remember, if you want something sweet, these are healthier than a candy bar.