Surfing the Internet and constantly being bombarded with pop-up ads can be extremely annoying. For this reason, most computer users enable a pop-up blocker. Occasionally, however, you run across a website that offers information that you need and it is blocked by the pop-up blocker. When this happens you need to disable the pop-up blocker. You can disable the pop-up blocker for all websites or just for specific ones.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Launch Internet Explorer.
Click on the "Tools" drop-down menu.
Scroll down, click "Pop-up Blocker" and choose "Turn Off Pop-Up Blocker."
Turn off pop-ups for specific sites by completing steps 1 and 2. Then, instead of choosing to turn off pop-ups, choose "Pop-Up Blocker Settings." Add sites to block or remove sites from the list that are being blocked.
Even though you may have your pop-ups turned off in Internet Explorer, if you have a toolbar installed on your computer it can still block pop-ups. The most commonly installed toolbars are the Yahoo toolbar and Google toolbar.
Click on the drop-down menu next to the pop-up blocker button to disable the pop-up blocker in the Yahoo toolbar. Select "Disable pop-up blocker."
Click the "Options" button on the Google toolbar. In "Accessories," clear the box next to the pop-up blocker option.
Tips and warnings
- If you are having a hard time disabling a pop-up blocker in a toolbar, you can uninstall the toolbar.
- Disabling your pop-up blocker puts you at more risk from viruses and spyware.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for