Simvastatin is one of the most popular groups of drugs in today's market for the treatment of high cholesterol, most notably in the brand name drug Zocor. Simvastatin lowers the production of LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) in the body, thus lowering the risk of heart attack, stroke and other heart-related conditions due to the build-up of plaque. However, this drug does not come without its own side effects. Most simvastatin side effects are rare and minor. The most notable are headache, nausea, abdominal pain, gas and diarrhoea. There are some more severe side effects that occur very rarely, including liver disease, allergic reaction-producing hives, and cognitive side effects such a memory loss and lack of focus.
- Skill level:
Stay hydrated throughout the day and night. This can help with many different side effects associated with simvastatin, such as headache, memory loss, lack of focus and even muscle pain. Lack of hydration can itself result in headache, muscle stiffness and lack of focus, concentration and memory, and is a quick remedy for these issues. Drink six to eight glasses of water per day in 236ml glasses.
Avoid alcohol as much as possible and never indulge in large doses. Drinking alcohol while taking medications containing simvastatin can result in severe liver damage, as both substances are hard on your liver. Your alcohol intake should be reduced to one drink per day or whatever recommendation your doctor gives.
Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and low-fat proteins to help with cognitive function. Eating a well-balanced diet will help to keep your cholesterol levels low while giving your body the proper nutrients that it needs, which is incredibly important in improving cognitive function and feeding your muscles.
Take a daily multivitamin to help with overall health and cognitive function. The brain works better when it is well hydrated and well fed. The multivitamin may be necessary in conjunction with a proper diet to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrients into your body. This can help with your digestive side effects and cognitive side effects. Do not begin taking a multivitamin without the approval of your doctor, and get a recommendation as to which would be the most beneficial for your specific situation.
Take a pain killer for muscle and abdominal pain. Ibuprofen can be helpful with muscle pain associated with taking a drug containing simvastatin. Never take ibuprofen or any other pain medication for simvastatin side effects without talking to a doctor that is familiar with your current medical condition.
Stop taking simvastatin. This is the most drastic measure and only about 2 per cent of those who begin taking a simvastatin medication have to resort to this measure. Some people who have an allergy to the medicine will have to find another alternative, and those who have side effects that are more severe than their initial reasons for taking simvastatin will have to do likewise. It should always be discussed with your physician before making the final decision.
Tips and warnings
- If you notice any strange side effects, no matter how minor they may seem, immediately stop taking simvastatin and call your physician. It may only be minor and you may be able to continue the medication, but the side effects should be made known to your doctor.
- To get the proper amount of water per day, sip on water all day long; do not do big gulps. Keep a glass near you throughout the day and put one beside your bed at night to sip on during the night if you wake up.
- Never take any other medication in conjunction with a drug containing simvastatin without first contacting your doctor. There are many drugs that may have harmful interactions with simvastatin, including multivitamins and supplements such as grapefruit seed extract.
- Always divulge to your doctor any conditions or problems you are having before or during taking simvastatin. Your doctor must have good information to better help you treat simvastatin side effects.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for