Mice are great at climbing up walls and settling into your attic. The problem is that they can chew through your files or make nests in your antiques. They will also lay their droppings all over, and these droppings can cause some nasty diseases. Since mice reproduce rather quickly, it is important for you to get rid of them as soon as you spot them in your attic.
Things you need
Humane mouse traps
Set up some mouse traps in your attic with peanut butter or cheese as bait. Don't set the trigger for two days, so the mice think the trap is safe. Then put the trigger on and wait for the mice to get their daily meal. Keep setting the mouse traps until two weeks go by without a catch.
Lay some glue traps where you have seen the mice around the attic, if you want a humane mouse trap. When the mice step on the glue traps, they will not be able to get back out. You can catch two mice at once. Keep putting the glue traps out until you have caught all of the mice.
Grease up a metal bowl and place a piece of cheese inside of it. Create a ramp with a piece of cardboard and tape it to the end of the bowl. Place it near a spot where you have observed mice. A mouse will climb up the ramp, jump in and then get stuck because it can't climb out. This is a slow, but sure, way to control mice.
Get some poison from a hardware store or make your own at home, if you're ready to become the mouse exterminator. Just combine some chicken broth with boric acid until you can roll the mixture into a small ball. Place the balls around your attic, and wait for the mice to eat it and die.
Get a cat from the animal shelter. Make sure it isn't declawed. The cat will get rid of the mice in the attic and keep them from coming back.
Place some mint plants around your attic. Mice hate the smell of mint and will avoid it at all costs. This is a cost effective and humane mouse trap.
- Call an exterminator if you can't get rid of the mice yourself or dealing with mouse traps isn't a task you want to take on. Mice extermination might sound harsh, but whether you kill them or relocate them the goal is to keep the rodents out of your house.
- Wear plastic gloves if you make your own poison. Keep poisons and traps away from children and pets.
Tips and Warnings
- Call an exterminator if you can't get rid of the mice yourself or dealing with mouse traps isn't a task you want to take on.
- Mice extermination might sound harsh, but whether you kill them or relocate them the goal is to keep the rodents out of your house.
- Wear plastic gloves if you make your own poison.
- Keep poisons and traps away from children and pets.
Things you need
- Mouse traps
- Humane mouse traps
- Glue traps
- Metal bowl