Uncovering a maggot infestation in your dustbin or other area of your home is enough to make anyone dry heave. The larva stage of flies, maggots are whiteish worms that resemble large rice grains. Maintaining the cleanliness of your home and yard will prevent infestations from forming, though simple techniques may be utilised to kill existing infestations. In addition to rotting food and damp areas, maggots may appear on infected pet wounds and must be removed with tweezers.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Liquid chemicals
- Paper towels
- Old rags
- Spray bottle
- Plastic bag
- Thick-soled shoes
Pour liquid chemicals -- such as hairspray, chemical cleaning products, dog shampoo, insecticides, brake cleaner or motor oil -- over the infestation. Wipe up the chemicals and infestation with damp rags, and follow with a vinegar water spray to disinfect the area. Use 1/4 cup of vinegar for every cup of water used.
Place paper towels over small infestations, and step on the maggots to kill them. Wear thick-soled shoes, wipe up the maggots with damp rags, and spray white vinegar and water cleaner over the area to disinfect it.
Sweep the maggots into a plastic bag, and place them in the freezer for a day or two to kill them. Wear gloves if using this method to avoid accidentally touching the maggots and spreading bacteria.
Heat water in a pan on your stove, and bring it to a rolling boil. Pour the boiling water over the maggot infestation. Wear shoes to avoid scalding your feet. This arguably the safest method of killing maggots since it reduces the likelihood of spreading bacteria and will not harm the environment in any way.
Tips and warnings
- Keep dustbins properly sealed to avoid maggot infestations.
- Clean all areas that have contained infestations thoroughly with soap and water or a vinegar and water spray.
- Do not leave damp laundry for days at a time.
- Throw out rotting meat in sealed plastic bags.
- If you keep chickens or fish frequently, save the maggots for use as chicken feed and bait.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for