Blackheads are a type of acne that appear as black or yellowish plugs, or as slight bumps in the skin. Blackheads often occur around the mouth, chin and on the nose. They are caused by excess oil in the skin, and result in an uneven complexion with large pores.
Attempting to remove blackheads can cause worse blemishes, infections or even scarring. This is why it's important to remove blackheads properly and safely.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Exfoliating agent
- Warm compress
- Blackhead strips
Exfoliate your face to wash away excess dirt and dead skin. Be especially careful, as the lip area is very sensitive. Exfoliating will help expose the blackhead(s) and make removal easier.
Rinse your face and pat it dry to prepare for the opening up of the pores.
Use a warm compress or steam on the affected area for at least 5 minutes. You can create steam by using hot water from the sink. This will soften skin, loosen up pores and make it easier to remove the blackhead(s).
Choose a blackhead-removal product. Scrubs and masks absorb the oil in the skin. But one of the best and most popular methods is to use a blackhead strip, which removes the blackhead from the skin at the root.
Use a "face" strip instead of a "nose" strip, and carefully follow the instructions on the box. Generally, you will wet the strip, adhere it to the affected area of the skin, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and then gently pull it away from the skin. Be particularly careful in removing the strip from around the lips, so you don't damage your skin. The blackheads will be stuck to the back of the strip.
Rinse the skin and pat it dry.
Tips and warnings
- Properly removing cosmetics from your skin helps to prevent blackheads. For women, lipstick and chap stick are often the cause of blackheads around the lips.
- Drink lots of water and avoid oily foods; this also helps prevent blackheads
- Avoid using blackhead strips too frequently, as they can cause extra aggravation of the skin.
- Some experts believe that light squeezing of blackheads is OK, but most strongly advise against it. Popping blackheads can lead to damaged skin or scarring.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for