Since the invention of the computer, the face of music has changed radically. Gone are the days when people had to take up too much space with their huge collections of CDs, tapes or even vinyl records. The modern music library can sit comfortably on an MP3 player--as long as you know how to get it there.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Find a good website from which to download music. Many out there are free to use, including LimeWire, iTunes, Rhapsody and Kazaa. Read all of the terms and conditions of a website before you register. Once you have chosen a website, sign up and download its programs onto your computer.
Insert your MP3 player into your computer. Click on the "My Computer" icon and open the file that reads "MP3 player." Open your music-download program and click on "File." In the "File" menu, click on the "Save as" listing. This will allow you to set the file to which you want your music to download.
Search for music in your download program. The music will download directly into your MP3 player. Pay attention to the amount you download. Your MP3 player only has a finite amount of memory. The longer the songs, the fewer you can fit on the player. When no more music can fit, a message will pop up reading, "Device memory is full."
Shut down your download program. Click on your desktop toolbar. You will see an icon that looks like a green arrow on top of a disk. Double-click on this icon. A window will pop up with a command that reads "Stop device." Click on it, and a pop-up window will appear announcing that the device is ready to be removed. Remove your MP3 player, plug in your headphones and you're on your way.
Tips and warnings
- Register and download from a variety of different websites. Do not limit yourself to just one.
- While the download program is loading, it may ask you where you'd like to store your files. Plug your MP3 player into your computer. Click "Browse" on the loading box. A drop-down menu will appear and you will find your MP3 player file.
- The desktop toolbar is the small toolbar that is usually in the bottom right-hand corner of your desktop.
- You can download the music to a file and drag it onto your MP3 player later.
- Downloading music without paying for it is illegal. The websites mentioned here are not illegally sharing their music.
- When you set a program to download directly to your MP3 player, it will not download to any other file.
- Look on the desktop toolbar for your download program's icon. If it is there, you have not shut it down completely. Right-click on the icon and click "Close." It is not a good idea to keep your download program running all the time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for