Bumper boats combine the thrill of bumper cars with the fun of water. You splash, and you knock each other around. Kids over the age of 5 as well as adults can enjoy the fun. There are even manufacturers who build bumper boats you can use in your pool.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Find out the laws in the city, county and state where you operate your business. Building regulations might dictate your pool size and type. Safety regulations may dictate that only children of a certain height or age can use bumper boats in your area. Follow any and all regulations.
Decide how many bumper boats you want to purchase. If you're setting up a ride for an amusement park, you need about 300 square feet of pool per boat. Most parks have 10 or 12 boats because the amount of labor for the operator is really the same as it is for 6 boats.
Choose what kind of boats you want to buy. If your target age group is small children, you want boats with larger tubes for more stability. If you want to accommodate an older crowd, there are boats with smaller tubes that will sit someone as tall as 5 feet 6 inches and as heavy as 160 lbs. You also need to decide between plastic and fiberglass.
Look at the differences between gas- and electric-powered bumper boats. You can refill gas boats in a minute and your next customer can be out bumping into other people, but electric boats take some time to recharge. On the other hand, electric boats are cleaner and quieter.
Buy your boats and flotation devices from a reputable dealer. Foster has a nice line of bumper boats as do Kiddie Bumper Boats and J&J Amusements. Ask the dealers for customer references. Make sure you get explicit instructions for your bumper boat maintenance and service schedule.
Tips and warnings
- If you'd rather avoid the amusement park, you can buy bumper boats for your pool at home too. Most run on a 12-volt battery.
- Keep your boats and safety gear in good repair. Replace life jackets when they start to wear out, and make sure everyone who uses your bumper boats has a safe and fun time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for