Pet apparel is a multi-million dollar industry that has attracted the likes of Gucci and designer Ralph Lauren. Everything from jewel-encrusted collars to one-of-a-kind dog furniture to custom-made sleepwear is now available to keep your dog in style. Make a simple coat to keep your pooch warm on chilly days.
Things you need
Scissors (small for snipping) and a pair of shears
Erasable marking chalk
Embellishments, if desired
Measure the dog from the center back of his neck to the base of his tail. Make note of this measurement. Visit the fabric store and choose a pattern for the dog coat from the pattern books.
Use the chart on the back of the pattern envelope. Choose a fabric that requires edge finishing or surging. Purchase a sufficient amount of fabric.
Select pattern pieces according to the size of dog coat. Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric, consider the fabric's nap. Cut out the pattern pieces using the shears. Wind a bobbin with the matching color thread. Thread the machine.
Use chalk to mark the places where seams match, the collar attaches, etc. Pin the fabric pieces together along the seam lines matching the chalk marks.
Stitch the dog coat together per the pattern instructions. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam. Use the small scissors to snip any excess threads.
Trim the seams to 1/4 inch after sewing. Make the collar, clip the curves and trim the seams, then attach it to the dog coat. Line up the chalk marks for correct placement.
Pay attention to the pattern pieces where the Velcro is positioned on the underside strap of the dog coat and where it attaches to the side. Cut small strips of the Velcro. Sew the corresponding Velcro pieces in place on the side of the dog coat.
- Use a highlighter to mark the directions on the pattern sheet. Mark the fabric pieces according to the marks on the pattern pieces for accurate size and sewing. Backstitch around all four edges of each Velcro square several times to secure it well to the strap.
Tips and Warnings
- Use a highlighter to mark the directions on the pattern sheet. Mark the fabric pieces according to the marks on the pattern pieces for accurate size and sewing.
- Backstitch around all four edges of each Velcro square several times to secure it well to the strap.
Things you need
- Scissors (small for snipping) and a pair of shears
- Small buttons
- Tape measure
- Erasable marking chalk
- Embellishments, if desired