Because they are made by hand, wicker baskets can be quite costly. They are widely used as household decorations. But, because they are constructed of thin, woody branches or reeds, wicker baskets need special care. They need to be cleaned properly so they retain their beauty and shape. Cleaning them right will also make them last longer, protecting your investment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Latex or cotton gloves
- Feather duster or natural-bristle paint brush
- Vacuum cleaner
- Upholstery attachment
- Nylon stocking
- 100 per cent cotton cloth
Put on a pair of cotton or latex gloves. These will protect the wicker baskets from skin oil, hand cream and other greasy substances when you handle them.
Remove dust, and loose dirt and debris from your wicker basket with a feather duster or a natural-bristle paint brush. Start on the inside of the basket. Brush in the direction of the wicker. Gently brush the bottom, then work your way up the sides. Turn the wicker basket over and clean off the bottom, then the sides.
Place the upholstery attachment on the end of the vacuum cleaner. Vacuum the wicker basket gently to remove a moderate amount of dust and dirt. Start on the inside bottom. Work your way up and around the basket. Then, vacuum the exterior.
Deep clean a wicker basket with a cotton cloth. Lightly moisten the cloth with cold water. Then, blot -- don't wipe -- the basket to clean off stubborn dirt and debris. Turn the cloth over as it becomes soiled. Allow the wicker basket to air dry completely before you use it.
Tips and warnings
- If your vacuum cleaner doesn't have an upholstery attachment, slide a nylon stocking over the end before you use it.
- Any time you handle your wicker baskets, wear a pair of gloves.
- Never wash your wicker basket in water. Never spray water on it, or soak it either. The moisture will cause the branches or reeds to swell. Water can cause the colour to fade.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for